January 2, 2013

courage!

Today feels like a Monday for me, since it is the first "normal" day of this brand new year, and I am basking in the glow of fresh starts! But as always, there are waves of fear that wash over in between the joys of motivation and passion. As I consider my goals and spend this lovely, sunny day officially beginning my new year, I am taking comfort in this quote: 
"Creativity takes courage." -Henri Matisse

I first read the quote on Pinterest and of course repinned it immediately! Just three simple words to remind me that although creative work will sometimes be really hard, it will always be noble and always completely worth it to pull through the fear and keep on pressing toward my goals.  
For my birthday a couple months back, my amazing friend Mandy (who is an incredible artist and painted the artwork featured in my blog header, too!) made me this beautiful custom piece of art. She found the quote on my Pinterest board of inspiring words and chose these words to grace her lovely artwork gift! I love the way that the words are "uncovered" beneath the dreamy whitewash layer to reveal some of my favorite colors all swirled together! Mandy knows me really, really well. Along with the quote, the painting's layers remind me how so many passions and various but particular inspirations mix together to represent my creative self! 
As I begin this new year and reach toward my goals in writing, creating and growing as a person in every way I can, I am grateful to have these words by my side! One of my projects on my list of goals is to put up artwork in my writing space to create a more inspiring environment for myself. I know that this artwork with its important quote will be a centerpiece of my inspiration wall. And these words are my wish for YOU, too, as you begin your own year of adventure! May you feel the gift of courage wash over you and keep you happy company on your own creative journey... xo

7 comments:

  1. I especially loved this post and the quote because this year the word that I have chosen to strive for is "courage" and now that I think about it, it's showing up everywhere. It's like you read my mind. Thanks for the words of inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful!!!! "Courage" is an amazing word for your year and I believe it will lead you on an amazing journey! Thank you SO much for reading and sharing!! xo!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely gift! I'd probably cry if somebody painted something like that for me. I wish you the best of luck!

    -Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year, Cayt! What a fantastic and heartfelt gift. Thank you for sharing this and helping all of us start off the year with such an important sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris, Happy New Year to you, too!!! Can't wait to see where your year leads your writing!! xo!

      Delete
  4. You are my hero!!!!! <3 What a great phrase to stand by for a new year and to stand on for the rest of your life to accomplish your goals. Every time I paint I feel so re-freshed, a feeling unlike any other, I know now that yes it is worth it to take courage in your creativity and is absolutely worth it in the end because it gives the inspiration to keep going and to not give up. I will remember these words for this year because that is exactly what I want this year to be.. an infinite encouragement and inspiration to keep living, to keep inspiring others and see the world the way God wanted us to see it.

    ReplyDelete